frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Starblast 3- update log

Comments

• any spoiler info?
  • Looks like something that would have been in Awakening.
    Curious what it could be.
  • I’ve actually worked a bit on awakening, helping with behaviors... but I guess some inspiration from the old art style carried over
  • edited June 2018
    Adding to the post above.

The Shop Update
    Not completly functional yet, but the change ship button in the menu has been moved here, along with an actual way to reach the debug level.

Ships will be done differently. You start off with 3, and you can buy more and more, but when you buy a ship it will always be the one made after the last in chronological order. However, that being said, soon I will make a temporary button that, when clicked, will ensure that you have all of the current ships. So you won’t have to buy them later.
    In other news, I plan to do the same thing for the gamemodes, along with a Co-op multiplayer and a VS. Multiplayer.

Store currency: because this game has no cores for currency, you will get Shop Credits simply by scoring. Every 2 points will give you a shop credit. Like score, credits only count if you finish a game, so you aren’t able to quit prematurely and get your credits.

Tips: like SB2, I plan to put Tips in this game, at 2500 SC (shop credits) per tip. It will be completely random so there is a chance you may get the same one more than once.

Perks: Unlike SB2, I have opted to Omit perks (Regen and quickbomb) from SB3, so anyone who just picks up the game has no disadvantage to someone who has played before (aside from experience)

Unused test level ( @grazer you’re gonna love this): In this particular level, enemies will not spawn automatically, instead I plan to have them spawn MANUALLY via GUI. Additionally, because of how I have the system set up, the if any mode has a attribute that effects the ship (I.E. Sticky Keys forcing player to move,) it will apply to the ship if that mode is currently selected in the main menu.

More information later.
  • edited June 2018
    So the test level is basically training mode/debug. Nice. I never once changed my ship, I forgot you had that mode. I'll have to take a look at that later today. I didn't have time last night to test that export, so I'll do that too.
  • @Mhx Aîr ever get to test it out?
  • edited July 2018
    No, actually, I haven't turned on my computer in the last few days. I've been actually pretty sick, so I've been sleeping a lot when I'm not at work. Maybe if I get enough rest tonight, I'll check tomorrow afternoon. I have a lot of stuff on my to do list, like I haven't even been to the gym in a week and a half. Sorry man. If flowlab had an Android app, I would be on all the time. I'm just not home often.
  • SB3 is on Android? Needs a reexport once the update is complete though.
  • No, I mean if the flowlab editor had an Android app. It doesn't really work very well in puffin.
  • edited July 2018
    I used puffin to make SB3.... litterally. I haven’t used anything else to work on it except for sometimes my home computer

Something tells me the android version and IOS version aren’t the same
  • The android version is very hard to click and drag anything, and it's pretty laggy. Occasionally it crashes.
  • The IOS version is actually better than Safari in my opinion
  • edited July 2018
    I have always used chrome, because it syncs my computer and phone, so anything I save or bookmark on my phone, I can just open up later when I get on the laptop.

Edit: Just bought Puffin Blue (Pro), and it seems to be a bit faster than the free version. I'll see if it is any better.
  • Hey CBG, here is my re-design of the UI for StarBlast 3:

before:
    UI design-02

Cons:
    - It has too many things on the screen
    - Too many bars and text
    - scattered and disorganized

My re-design:
    UI design-01
    barra

Solution:
    - Simplify things and putting things aesthetic like 80's VHS
    - Making things clear
    - Organized things and let space for mobile controls
    - Made things clear (the multiplier is clear that is multiplying the score)
    - Score numbers now fill themselves and when it's full means you beat your record. (Merged score with Progress (red) bar)
    - Merged the HP bar with the Lifes (icons with the bar at the bottom)
    - Avoided text (Used transparency to hide abilities that are on cooldown)
  • @PixelPizza
    That actually looks insanely good. I always felt like SB3 was crowded and felt like an old flash game, and I prefered SB2 personally, but that does really add a clean aesthetic to it. If CBG cleans up the game and tweaks it a bit, I'd actually probably play it more than just testing it. I die too much and get frustrated, but maybe that's just me being bad.
  • I’ll do that
  • edited July 2018
    Problem- how am I supposed to get those numbers there? Label doesn’t support that font, does it?

...matter of fact how can I pull any of that off?
  • edited July 2018
    Lots and lots of animation frames. The bars use % equation to filter animation frame.

As for the score, either use Wizardry printing, or similar to how you would make a clock, 3 objects, 100 goes to 1, 10 goes to 2, 1 goes to 3, multiplier is its own object. Filter greater than 9 equation -10 (so it wraps leftover numbers) message send 1 to next object.

Something like that, I'd assume.
  • edited July 2018
    Anyway, I’m implimenting all of this in.

@grazer I desperately need Display order for GUI if this is going to work. And also any chance of custom font uploads?

Also maybe custom fonts?
  • The wormhole functions exactly like it did in SB2, except it’s a little flashier and takes 5 seconds to respawn after teleportation
  • @Mhx Aîr if you wouldn’t mind, could you compair and contrast SB2 and SB3 for me?

I’d like to know what makes SB2 preferable to you so I can apply whatever characteristics it has to SB3. That way 3 becomes better than 2, otherwise it’s a sequel that doesn’t deserve to exist.
  • Hm... Well, if I have time during the afternoon, I can. I have a few things to do today. I'll let you know if I do.
  • edited July 2018
    I’ve made a new enemy type, the spook.

It does not spawn normally in game yet, but it can be found in the test level.

@grazer this puts your “angle to” behavior block into action.
  • edited July 2018
    It’s probably one of the more passive enemies, but just try not to let it aim itself at you

It’s behavior could actually make a VERY interesting Sentry Gun.
  • @grazer I just created the first proper timer in flowlab, displaying minutes, and seconds in a proper manner!!!

@Mhx Aîr

Find it on 3 minute rush
  • edited July 2018
    forums won’t really let me upload cropped photos for some reason, so I removed the photo on this post and took a screen cap of what I was trying to crop- but zoomed in to compensate for it