frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Shifter (Pre-Alpha 0.0.009) MUSIC BREAK

Comments

• Don’t forget the rotation thing I talked about
  • edited November 2017
    @CrimsonBlackGames
    I'll remember. I might even make an example game using it.
  • I’m probably going to incorporate it into crimson hunters... that would be cool, if I could get a better atmosphere for it, to make it more organic looking
  • @CrimsonBlackGames What were you going for? I really like how your game looks. It feels like a retro metroidvania built for the old VirtualBoy headset game system. It's very nostalgic for me.

By the way, did you see the concept art I tagged you in on page 2?
  • Working on a Lock-on targeting system for shooting and homing attacks. I'll probably bind lock-on to L1, and use point at for shooting. I copied it to a separate game example as well, since I'll be deleting it from Shifter when I no longer am using it. http://www.flowlab.io/game/play/760378
  • A Metroid looking background....

Also, I’m fairly sure I would be like Mhx and just crash while crystal did something else
  • edited November 2017
    @CrimsonBlackGames
    If I get around to the text boxes and voice acting for the characters, you'll see they get along, but very sarcastically. You intentionally play as Mhx while Crystal stays home and monitors the planet and you while doing research on the anomoly at hand. She's your Intel, but player 2 can spawn her in at any time for backup. She is easily distracted and forgetful, because she is very smart but has too many processors running and causes poor RAM in the memory expansion chip. She's connected herself to a large archive of all information and recorded history in the known visited galaxies, and will translate most ancient scripts. This chip mod built by Ectroazi works great but malfunctions, causing occasional confusion and child-like behavior. Otherwise she is very mature and serious. The story plot is pretty decent, but I hope to add drama to it for effect.
  • edited November 2017
    Drama... eh? One of the things that I liked was from spaceballs where they play spaceballs on their screen, and it really confuses darth helmet

(It’s a Mel brooks movie- a parody of Star Wars)
  • edited November 2017
    @CrimsonBlackGames I'm very familiar with Spaceballs and other space/alien movies and parodies. I used to collect space sci-fi movies like Star Wars. I didn't care for Star Trek, it felt like M.A.S.H. in space. I'm a big sci-fi buff. I'm also a fan of 4th wall breaks.
  • edited November 2017
    Spent about 4-5 hours painting a new background for Shifter. I got inspired by a space generator I found for CBG. Generators are cool, but I like to make my own from scratch in GIMP. This one looks much nicer than the old V2 one. Idk if I'll 32bit sprite it, because that's a ton of work. It's funny how back in Diamondsion Assault, it was just a blue and white blur with simple paint +s for stars. I've gotten significantly better at graphics design in the last 4 years. I'm pretty happy with the results.

@CrimsonBlackGames @PixelPizza @grazer @Luminous @Latif3 and anyone else, I'd love to hear your opinions on the graphics updates I've been putting out this year. Feedback and suggestions help me come up with ideas for the next projects I work on.

2013 Diamondsion Assault
    a

2016 Shifter V2
    a

2017 Shifter Pre-Alpha
    a

Also, yes, I really did make this from scratch, layer after layer after layer after layer, using pixels and opacity for stars and a sponge brush for nebula clouds. The spiral galaxy in almost all my games is just made by smearing blue and white together in a circle over and over and over while stacking and blending layers, and using an opacity brush to blend the edges. I decided to add dark rings and a red and pink outer glow to give it a realistic look. Once everything looks decent, I use a burn tool to give darkness and depth to everything that didn't blend enough, and to darken stars. This is the longest I've ever spent on a picture for anything ever, not just a game. As soon as backgrounds can be animated, I'll work on making the stars sparkle and have the galaxies flow and breathe. I paint and draw on paper as well, but you can't ctrl+z when you mess up, so PC master race? One other pointer is I LOVE THIS WACOM PEN. I could NEVER do this before with a mouse. The level of detail I can do with wacom is incredible.
    a

By the way, this thing right here is a meteorite. If we get more layers, I'll have meteorites and other stuff pan by across the screen as you walk through the level. With a random and a timer, I can even have them have a chance to burn up in the atmosphere and become a shooting star animation.
    a
  • edited November 2017
    For some reason my phone has extremely high saturation and contrast making the picture very pink and purple, when it should be darker with less saturation. If your phone does the same, it should look more like this on a computer.

ColorTouch-1511275240738
  • Looks nice! Good job Mhx
  • AMAZING job! congratulations
  • Tres bien monsieur
  • I was working on physics testing today, so I figured I'd build the best place I know to test them. If you recognize this background, you're in for a treat.
    Hydromidbg
  • Okay, I WAS going to build Hydrocity Zone from Sonic 3K, but it is taking wayyy longer than I wanted, and it's going to be deleted before Pre-Alpha becomes Alpha. It's just a fun physics test for water, gravity, wind, slides, and hills.
  • Been too busy helping other people to work on my game lately, but I daydream a lot at work and came up with more story. I also have some concepts in mind for enemies and rivals. Might sketch them tomorrow.
  • It stresses me out when I think of some great concept for a game, but have no access to the laptop for a long time
    Hope this game will be successful, considering all the buildups and effort that came into it.
  • @Luminous It will take maybe a year or two to actually make with a funded team. Unlike most games that you can beat in a few hours and get bored, Shifter will run in real time and mock a full size celestial dwarf planet like Pluto. It will be at least 10x bigger than Super Metroid. Imagine Super Metroid, and how every room is like a bedroom size. Now imagine if every room was the size of a full stage from Sonic 3K. Now imagine 10x the amount of rooms. You would have to go through 100 stages to run around just the planet surface, and you will be able to explore all the way to the core. Going around the planet from the inside will take a lot less time since the ring of levels is less in size. This way, you can get to the other side of the world faster by going through the core, than going around the outside. Of course, most of the inner planet unlocks from story chunks and powerups, like heat resistance and stronger attacks to break huge barriers or withstand lava.

I'd estimate 2000 hours of gameplay, from exploration, achievements, powerups and pickups, story mode, side quests, and then you get to redo it all again as a customizable character that you can use online in battle, race, and co-op.

Also, all games save to a cloud server on a website, so all my future games will unlock things for other games my company makes, like wearing a Vortex shirt in Shifter or the run trails are the trails from Vortex, while Vortex would unlock Mhx's ship from Shifter to play as, and shifter laser abilities modded to work for your ship.
  • Also speed running will be extremely difficult to nearly impossible. I and 10 professional gamers will play the whole game, and attempt to beat it as fast as possible. Lowest time gets a penalty. Speed runners will get 4th wall breaks from Crystal and 2 extra boss battles for beating the game early.
  • 2000 hours? No one would be able to finish THAT
  • @Luminous You've heard of Destiny? They used grinding and weekly/monthly and holiday events to provide 2000 hours of gameplay. 5-6 hours a day, every day of the year. There will be free updates and also DLC.
  • Another amusing perk is using the billboards and screens to run paid ads from big companies but written by me, animated in pixel art. Instead of being wholesome boring commercials, they will be satirical and humorous, which will appeal to people under 30 and make the companies look "funny and cool" so people will buy their products "for the meme".
  • "Washington toilet paper" we don't care about money, but the satisfaction of our customers. Free of charge, except for a mandatory 17.99 donation. No changes given, more donations accepted. 30% tax.

Billboards are a good idea. And to make people actually look at them, "100 coins every time you browse the board. 12 hour cooldown."

If the maps become much bigger... I can't even imagine it
  • The maps won't get too much bigger, but each expansion opens up different areas of the planet or even off the planet, like a space station. The sequel will only feature a bit of Tactix, unless it gets prebuilt to infinitely expand, instead of needing a new copy for the sequel, which will feature the planet Techtra, which now that I look at it, kinda reminds me of good future from Sonic CD. Each sequel explores another neighboring planet.
  • All I can say is don’t be EA when it comes to DLC
  • @CrimsonBlackGames
    The game would sell for $50 obviously due to the amount of content and money spent on production, each clothing or customization item would be $1, each mini story mode addon would be $10, while major addons would be $30. Other games I make won't be anywhere near as expensive to make or buy, most games $10 for PC, free with ads for mobile. It's a simple strategy, if only 50,000 people on Earth buy the game, I make $2,500,000, which funds more games. I'll never get rich off the first few games (Probably) but my goal is to build up, expanding the team with each game, until I own a corporation and people just make the games for me, and I can retire at 35 and focus on my physical fitness and furthering my education without needing to worry about having a job and bills. This way, I can learn tons of skills and trades for fun, instead of a career, like I always wanted to build technology or design cars and clothes, maybe turn Shifter into an anime, idk. I don't have time for anything working full time and not sleeping, for example, I go to work at 12 today, and my insomnia has kept me awake til now. Another day without sleep. I blame stress. If I could only make 1 or 2 successful games, that stress would go away, and I could finally focus on improving my life. This is why I make games, not because I want to, not because I'm good at it, but because we live in an age where Indie video games profit higher than Marvel movies, and people are the prime age to appreciate or have nostalgia for pixel art. It's a reliable profit, that you couldn't earn in a hard working honest job working 80 hours a week for 30 years. People want new ideas and new games, so if that's what I have to do to get my foot into hopefully becoming a CEO someday, I'll do it, and I'll sacrifice sleep for it.
  • edited April 2018
    Not really an update, but I added the camera logic and worked on some new graphics.
    I don't feel like I like the grass, relic, or bubbles yet, so I will likely redo them or change them another time. Graphics take the most time for me, so idk how often I'll work on my game with my busy schedule. I should really be asleep by now. This screen is the first thing when you hit U on the control menu now, so you can watch the graphics and animations come along.

a
  • edited April 2018
    I should really have gone to bed, but instead I spent all night working on graphics and a song.
    There's a lot more work to be done to it, but there's a preview for now.
    Just open the game and press U to listen. It's atmospheric dnb.
    https://flowlab.io/game/play/739392

Or listen to it in my dropbox for now, until I delete it for the newer version.
    (Open in desktop mode on mobile)
    Removed link
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9138luf42r0wsij/Nuclear Shotgun.mp3?dl=0

Honestly Idk if anyone even listens to dnb. It's such a niche genre that only certain people enjoy. I never met anyone else that listens to it.