frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Starblast: Neon Wars...reborn! Along with more SB3

The first SB sucked pretty bad, so I made a remake! I basically just revised some graphics, and brushed up on it, nothing too fancy. Play here.

As far as SB3 goes, it’s still my big project, and NWR is a side project. Even better, we finally have a new gamemode! “3 Minute Rush” which is basically the return of Timed Mode from SB:NW(R). In “3 Minute Rush,” you get a 3 minute time limit, and infinite lives. Using said 3 minutes, you must score. Play Here.

Just a side note, the timer won’t stop ticking when you pause the game (messages for GUI aren’t always working, @grazer?), and I do not believe the high scores function is working, because it wasn’t with classic mode earlier, although that might be a label problem (dunno why it stopped working.)

Comments

• @Mhx Aîr did I ever show you SB3, I don’t think I ever got around to showing you
    My web Site, "the console" = jngthree.wix.com/jngsconcole

• edited October 31
    It's always nice to admit to yourself that a game sucks. That's the reason that I'm doing such a different approach than I did with my first game Diamondsion Assault. I was very proud of my first game, but after a couple years I realized it was trash. The first step to improvement is admitting you have a problem, and if graphics or gameplay was your problem, then admitting that is allowing you to improve on it. If someone refuses to believe that their bad game is bad, it will always stay bad, so that being said, I look forward to seeing you improve on your games as your tastes change. I'm glad I waited 4 years for Shifter, because all my prototypes are now garbage to me. I didn't have the skill nor knowledge of flowlab that I have now.
  • I believe I tested sb3 for yellow laser lag. It was a big improvement from sb1.
  • edited October 31
    @Mhx Aîr yellow laser lag? Like the explosion particles or the ship shots?

Another thing is probably because proximities are barely used in this game, which cuts down on the lag...

• Idk there was a thing that made rainbow fireworks and lagged baaadddd. I don't remember that well. It was on a different laptop so I'd have to retry it on my new one.
  • That’s explosion particles, and that’s also because an enemy dun goofed

• Me when almost beating a highscore, but missing by a point or two.

• Changed my avatar to something spoopy

• edited October 31
    @grazer

Any possible improvements on 3MR?

@Mhx Aîr

I know you’re good with games, so how high of a score can you get

• edited November 1
    Made a progress bar, that sits below the multiplier bar. It shows how close you are to beating your high score.

For anyone wanting the expression for it, it’s (a/b)*10000
    A being the current score, and B being the high score. Every time A changes, it re-evaluates. The output is then shown in a bar, with the max being 10000. (It’s for the sake of exact percentage down to the nearest tenth)

• edited November 1
    @grazer, can you add the alpha property to bars?

• edited November 3
    A ship skin system is in the works

• I'm not any better at this version :(

Looks nice though :)
  • Just made a patch (hehe... Halloween)

Ship skins are now available for use! Found in the main menu, hovering the mouse over “Change ship” will show the current ship. Pressing Up/Down while hovering will change the ship, and Clicking the button counts as Up.

If you try to go over the limit, you’ll be sent to the bottom/top of the list

• I already hit 10 in the ship count

• edited November 4
    70369924-898E-4333-8F89-05ECA5ED2C2B
    F8A64165-89A5-48C9-8C06-E2DBF1ED511B

Do these ships look familiar?

• C84A74D4-2DEE-4BB9-AAD3-135FAAB64B04
    85B9A7FB-BCE1-4D37-9F92-99CBC319A76A

• Some of the other ships

• They seem like and evolution/upgrade

Btw one ship haves shade and the other doesn't (idk if its on porpouse)
  • It’s on purpose

• edited November 5
    @grazer on SB3, I’m trying to make it to where the ship eases into the direction, from whatever its current rotation is to where it’s going to. But the problem is that I can’t get it to work right, because it turns a full 270 degrees in the wrong when it should just turn 90 in the other direction. I know why, just not sure how to fix it

I thought I had it, but I didnt

• edited November 5
    I have it to where it will seamlessly turn from left (0) to up (270) but not the opposite

GOT IT! It has taken me all day to get it, but for some reason, @grazer, the upper diagonal directions are acting up. can you figure out why?

It works when shifting from up, to up-right, but not from right to up-right. Similar for up-Left

• @grazer crimsonblack's account died again
  • Anyway, until then, this account is in use.

I added a background, so it’s no longer just an empty void and is now in space
  • edited November 6
    I figured it out, almost.

Now it just freaks out when you transition from right, to upper right

I changed a 315 to -45, because it was messing with the degree check, so now it works.

• The Seamless turning rig is done!

• edited November 7
    Did you find a bug in Flowlab, or were the behaviors just not acting the way you expected, or both?
  • @grazer the behaviors were acting up. False alarm

• edited November 7
    @grazer

I made a new enemy, which is basically a compound enemy.

It has the “nucleus” which is the main enemy, and the “electrons” which orbit and protect it.

Kill the nucleus, and the whole enemy goes down.

However, the first time it spawns, the elections don’t orbit properly and despawn, because it doesn’t detect the nucleus.
    Any spawn-ins afterward and it works fine.