frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

How to stop my character from constantly gliding?

https://flowlab.io/game/play/389863
my character Zackary keeps gliding around the map, anyone want to help?

@Grazer @jngthree @Latif3

Comments

• Gliding? I think you already fixed it.
  • Nah, he gets pulled towards the edges of the map for some reason...
  • Try using spacebar to kill the first knight, you'll see what I mean.
  • Wait, never mind I got it. Thanks though!
  • Hey Tommyx2x14,

Every object has both a position property, and a velocity (speed). The behaviors controlling Zachary only update the position, never the velocity.

What can happen is if he collides with a moving object (like a Knight), he will bounce off of them and begin moving himself. You can still update his position with the controls, but he keeps "gliding" around even after you move him.

There are a couple of ways to solve this problem. One way would be to set his velocity x & y to 0 every frame with an "always" trigger, so that he only ever moves when repositioned with your keyboard triggers.

A simpler solution would just be to open up the "position" node in Zachary's behaviors, and check the "reset speed on update" box. This way his velocity will be set to 0 each time you move him.

Hope this helps.
  • @grazer can you please look at my thread
  • @grazer Thanks man, really helps a lot
    This sounds like sarcasm, but it is not
  • i need help for a school project and my character keeps gliding and i need help to fix ithttp://flowlab.io/game/play/1350356
  • @Salad Masher - only use the "Capsule" collision shape for the player, not the ground blocks. Capsules have no friction on their top or sides.
  • woah a dead discussion from like 3-4 years ago
  • Oh that's why everyone says "Capsule" is bad!