frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Game tips by Crigence

edited February 24 in Game Design
Thanks to The Crigence Critique (http://forum.flowlab.io/discussion/6717/leave-your-game-here-and-ill-review-it-the-crigence-critique/p1) i play a LOT of games, and in those games: I also notice a LOT of common mistakes! So, i complied a list of every mistake i see and just general game tips:

*If a door isn't enterable or has nothing behind it, make that PERFECTLY clear!
*Please, please, PLZ make where you need to go and what you have to do obvious! Use arrows if you have too! (Unless it's a puzzle game, obviously)
*A control/how to play screen never hurt anybody!
*Actually, just try to convey as much information to the player as possible!
*If you're using the free version, follow my lead and use animations to make blocks which have a similar purpose across levels look different!
*Try to be original
*Don't use blocks to create text: Use the alert behavior!
*Don't give weak attacks a delay, just don't.
*Try to add sprinting in your game! The more movement options the better!
*Death animations are much better than enemies just disappearing!
*A good looking description is always a nice touch!
*I recommend small games if you're on free and large games if you're on Indie! And just don't buy school or studio unless you're one of those.
*Use other resources to improve the visuals of your game, use them to prototype (f.e. https://opengameart.org/)
*Learn about Story Boards to understand how to make an engaging game
*You can make a sound artificially louder by adding more of it and playing it all at the same time, 2-3 is all you should do!
*Avoid "Always's" as much as possible! Use switch's attached to 0 second timers instead!
*Either make the style bland, medium, or ultra-realistic. NEVER mix them!

Well, that's all i've got for now! If you know any good tips i missed, leave them in the comments and you'll get your name added to the credits and probably your tip added!

Remember: These are just general game tips and following them won't make your game perfect! For a in depth analysis to make your game better, go to the Crigence Critique and get your game reviewed!

And @grazer when you feel like it, some tips of your own or just feedback on the current tips would be nice!

Thanks for reading!

Credits:

-Crigence: Creating and moderating this discussion
-GwyD: Providing 2 tips
-rcreger: Providing 3 tips (Only 1 was accepted :/)

Comments

• @Crigence , when you use a level from another game, would it be taken from the game, or would it be just copied to your game?
  • lol, how about no?
  • edited January 27
    Ignore those 2 up there, i had to make this discussion into a different one and you can't delete comments for some reason!
  • - Learn about Story Boards to understand how to make an engaging game
    - There are resources you can use to improve the visuals of your game, use them to prototype (f.e. https://opengameart.org/ )
    - text
  • Is there anymore stuff going to be on here, or is this just a statement to help people?
  • @rcreger
    Well, i put it up here so the community could basically make a massive list of tips for each other...

Yeah it didn't turn out very successfully...
  • I mean, I could try :lol: This is actually a good idea @Crigence .

All I have to say is try to make matching art. Don't make nice realistic art go with bland art, such as a 16-bit character go onto a plain blue square. Either make the style bland, medium, or ultra-realistic.

Also, with that, try to have matching music. Don't have sci-fi music go with fantasy unless that sci-fi music sound very fantasy.

And if you make a story game, or any game with any bit of story, I suggest trying to get information of ways to tell stories like I do. There are three main ways to do this: Dialogue between characters, the game just telling you the story, and through environment. There is also a more hidden one with how the character acts, though it would be hard to do in this, since you are what the character acts.

That is all that I have to suggest right now. These are three things based on game design instead of programming. Maybe I'll do some of that later. Thanks!